Successfully rooted Redmi 1 Singapore unit with latest firmware JHBSGBD15.0 and gained Superuser access on June 2014. Installation guide is simple and clear with graphics on miui forum thread: “[Tools, Tips & Tutorials] How to install TWRP, ROOT and BACKUP your RedMi 1“, just follow steps written and all will be safely done.
For Singapore unit, download two files titled as below from the thread or download directly from dropbox link below,
ii) turn off phone, then press “Volume Down” and “Power” button at the same time
2) now, a “Boot Mode” screen with three selection will be display, press “Volume Down” button to select “Recover Mode”, then press “Volume up” button
3) a lying android graphic will be seen, press on “Power” button, then you will enter Recovery mode with a list of selection
4) press “Volume down” button to select “apply update from sdcard2”
5) press “Volume down” button to choose “HM1SG-TWRP-126.96.36.199-stas2z.zip” and press “Power” button to begin installation of TWRP Recovery
6) After successful installation, it will bring back to Recovery mode main screen, remove battery and wait a couple of seconds
7) place battery back and press “Volume down” + “Power” button, choose “Recovery Mode” in Boot mode screen
8) now TWRP Recovery main screen with menu selections will be show
9) select “Install” from the menu, choose root-stable.zip on SD card and Swipe to confirm flash
10) after sucessful flash, select “back” button to main screen, select “Reboot” from menu and click on “System”
11) lastly, restarted into normal mode, then you will see new “SuperSU” icon on your screen and you gained root access
*On my first failed attempt, i copied two files above into external SD card root, which is sdcard0 in ES File Explorer, appear as sdcard in recovery mode. Although installed TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) successfully, but it brings me to stock recovery mode instead of TWRP after restart.
*On second success try, i copied into sdcard1 with ES File Explorer and it appear as sdcard2 in recovery mode. Installed exactly as instruction, include battery removed part, and got it all works.